- I’m going away on holiday next month.
(= I’m going away from home next month.)
- I wanted to take a picture of a horse, but it ran away.
[= I wanted to take a picture of a horse but it ran away from me (person).]
- We were trying to get away but the door was locked.
(= We were trying to escape)
- I broke the vase in the living room, but I got away with it.
(= I broke the vase without being caught)
- Keep away from my dog. It’s aggressive.
(= don’t go near my dog)
- I don’t need this book anymore. I’ll give it away.
(= I don’t need this book anymore. I’ll give it to somebody else.)
- When I finish my homework I put my books away.
(= I put my books it in the place where it is kept)
- I ate the yogurt and threw the cup away.
(= I put it in the rubbish)
- She’ll be back in two weeks.
(= She’ll come back home in two weeks)
- Wait for me please. I’ll be back in a minute.
(= I’ll be back to a place in a minute)
- I smiled at him and he smiled back.
- She waved at me and I waved back.
- Karl hit Mike and Mike hit back.
(= to reciprocate)
- We’ll call you back in the evening.
(= We’ll return the phone call in the evening)
- I sent father a message on Monday, but he got back to me on Sunday.
(= …but he replied to me by phone on Sunday.)
- I used to lie in my bed and look back on my mistakes.
(= …and think about mistakes which happened in the past)
- It’s fine.You don’t have to pay it back.
Professional quality translation and localization quickly and safely via Internet! – www.marketlingua.eu