- My mother put the picture up on the wall.
- My apple fell on the floor. I picked it up and washed it.
- Alice stood up and angrily walked out.
- I can’t hear a word. Can you please turn the TV up a little bit?
- I took the old photo down and put up a new one.
(= I took the old photo down from the wall and put up a new one on the wall)
- Please stop writing and put your pens down.
- I lay down to have a nap.
- Turn the volume down please. It’s too loud.
- My father cut down roses for my mother.
- I was nearly knocked down by a car.
- The trees in our yard were burnt down because of the thunderbolt.
(= …were destroyed by fire because…)
- Can you please slow down? I’m scared.
(= Could you please go more slowly?)
- Calm down or I’ll call the police.
(= Become calmer or I’ll call the police)
- You should try cut down on fast food. You gained 3 kg in three days.
(= You should try to eat fast food less often)
- My navigation broke down. That’s why I’m late.
(= My navigation stop working.)
- There used to be a bank, but it shut down last year.
(= …but it stopped doing business…)
- I trust you. Don’t let me down please.
(=…Don’t disappoint me please)
- Mike applied for a new job, but he was turned down.
(= …but he was refused)
- I always write the date of meeting down to not forget about it.
(= I always write the date of meeting on paper to not forget about it)
Professional quality translation and localization quickly and safely via Internet! – www.marketlingua.eu